About Mellerick’s Pharmacy
History of the Business:
A pharmacy was established in the 1900’s at 18 Patrick Street trading as Brodericks. However the building itself was built in 1800. Jimmy Mellerick served his apprenticeship in the 1940’s in Brodericks cycling from Conna on a daily basis.
He bought Brodericks and renamed it Mellericks in 1951. The signage on the fascia is made from cow horn at 18 Patrick Street. Mellericks continued to trade out of 18 Patrick Street until February 2014.
Orla Mellerick took over the business in 1999 and continued to build on her fathers goodwill until the storms of February 2014. Mellericks re located at this stage to a temporary location due to the premises being damaged by the storm.
Mellericks opened at 24 Patrick Street on the 17th Novem.ber 2014. The premises that Mellericks now trade out of was originally a furniture shop owned by JJ Barry & Sons. The ornate ceilings were installed in the 1900’s of pitched pine as a sample of their workmanship.
The black pillar which is listed was supporting a bath in the family home upstairs. The floor was terrazzo with metal surround which is also listed but was too badly damaged to be re instated so a floating floor was put on top to protect.
Dairygold bought the premises in 1967 and it was sold on to Bertie Gowen in 2012. Mellericks Pharmacy took a lease in 2014 on the premises.